This position is the leader of the ODL platform based in Laos, responsible for all aspects of the site’s operations, including content creation and management; translation; partnership development; activities implementation; and donor relations/reporting. Read more about ODL by visiting: https://laos.opendevelopmentmekong.net/about-us/
- Site content development
- Post news on ODL site daily from a variety of sources, create topic pages, to be posted in both Lao and English, on a variety of topics
- Upload other data, including reports, videos, laws, polices, etc. in both Lao and English
- Consult with ODM team to review topic pages before publishing
- Consult with sector experts as needed to ensure accuracy
- Partnerships and networking
- Actively meet with potential users and contributors to ODL to introduce site
- Organize and implement workshops/trainings with partners, including general information sessions on ODL/open data and training sessions for potential data contributors (priorities for 2020 are with faculties at the National University, but can also expand to NGOs and development partners)
- Reporting and M&E
- Prepare/submit technical reports as per grant agreements between EWMI and VFI
- Coordinate with VFI finance team to prepare/submit all financial reports to EWMI
- Track and monitor the Google Analytics to gain insights into user patterns that could inform development of content on ODL
- Public relations/promotion
- Take care of any and all public relations requirements, including posting frequently on social media and writing blogs and press releases as necessary
- Design any required promotional materials, including banners, postcards, brochures, etc., and oversee printing and distribution
- Strategic linkages i.e. proposal development, events, general networking
- Engage in proposal development where and when opportunities arise
- Be the lead ODL spokesperson and advocate at events and networking functions
- Regional network coordination and collaboration
- Attend virtual and in-person ODM strategic meetings
- Implement regional ODL initiatives as relevant
- Other miscellaneous tasks
- Recruit and manage ODL interns
- Recruit and manage any translators
The candidate should be familiar with development issues affecting Laos and in the context from a Mekong regional perspective. She/he should have a strong interest in development and environmental sustainability with in depth understanding of the economic, social and political context of the Lower Mekong Basin and the transboundary issues within the region. Additionally, the candidate should possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Strong project management skills to be able to work autonomously and within a remote team environment.
- Proven communication skills in English and Laotian (both spoken and written) to be able to communicate the project and activities within different and diverse settings.
- Strong research skills to be able to contribute to ongoing research work within Laos and contribute to producing stories or content that are well balanced, evidence based and without bias or agenda.
- Ability to curate and synthesise issues on Laos within the Mekong region context.
- Time management and organisational skills are essential to ensure that the projects are implemented in a timely manner and ensure good coordination amongst the national partners and teams.
- Results driven, to ensure that outcomes and products are produced as a result of all partnership engagements to a high standard.
- Good computer skills and knowledge of web user interfaces such as WordPress would be useful.
- Ability to work within a virtual team environment and from home.
- Previous experience in managing or working on online platforms, ICT projects or other informatic sectors.
- Understanding of open licensing and open standards an advantage.
- Bachelor in Data science, social or political science, computer science or other technology sector.
- Masters or higher-level qualifications are desirable.
- Previous work experience that relates to the Open Development Mekong agenda and goals.
The position is for a full-time posting with on the job training and support. Within the first 3 months of the posting a performance review will be conducted and additional responsibilities and tasks may be asked should the candidate perform well. EWMI-ODI would like to invest in the candidate to build their skills and ability to contribute to the OD Mekong and OD Vietnam site over the longer term.
All interested candidates should submit a motivation letter outlining why they would qualify for this posting along with a recent CV, in English, listing two referees to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted to provide additional supporting documentation and samples of writing. If successful candidates will be invited for an online interview.
EWMI is an equal opportunity employer complying with equal opportunity laws, guidelines, and policies to ensure that employment practices and contracting arrangements give equal opportunity without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Minorities, women, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Application deadline: August 7th, 2020.